Dr Kevin Thomas
Ph.D. (University of Arizona)
Background and research interests
- Cognitive and Clinical Neuropsychology and Neuroscience
- Neural substrates and assessment of spatial learning, memory, and navigation
- Memory functioning in temporal lobe epilepsy
- Cognitive ageing: effects of ageing on memory function
- Spatial cognition in healthy ageing, mild cognitive impairment, and early Alzheimer’s disease
- Quantitative reviews within Neuropsychology
- Stress, anxiety, and trauma: effects on memory functioning
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of anxiety disorders
- Neuropsychological function in posttraumatic stress disorder
- Undergraduate: Introduction to Clinical Neuropsychology; Bio-Psychology; Cognitive Psychology
- Postgraduate: Human Memory; Clinical Neuropsychology
Thomas, K. G. F., Hsu, M., Laurance, H. E., Nadel, L., & Jacobs, W. J. (2001). Place learning in virtual space III: Investigation of spatial navigation training procedures and their application to fMRI and clinical neuropsychology. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, and Computers, 33, 21-37.
Skelton, R. W., Bukach, C., Laurance, H. E., Thomas, K. G. F., & Jacobs, W. J. (2000). Humans with traumatic brain injuries show place-learning deficits in computer-generated virtual space. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 22, 157-175.
Sachs, B. C., Thomas, K. G. F., Leritz, E. F., Schmalfuss, I. M., Leonard, C. M., & Bauer, R. M. (2004). Correlation of hippocampal metabolite ratios with memory function in mild cognitive impairment and normal aging: A 1H MRS study. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 18, 170.
Thomas, K. G. F., Laurance, H. E., Luczak, S. E., & Jacobs, W. J. (1999). Age-related changes in a human cognitive mapping system: Data from a computer-generated arena. CyberPsychology and Behavior, 2, 545-566.
Kállai, J., Karádi, K., Thomas, K. G. F., Jacobs, W. J., & Nadel, L. (in press). The role of spatial orientation disturbances in maintenance of panic disorder with agoraphobia: Agoraphobia and the representation of space. In A. Berthoz (Ed.), Anxiety and spatial cognition. Paris, France: Elsevier.
Payne, J. D., Nadel, L., Allen, J. J. B., Thomas, K. G. F., & Jacobs, W. J. (2002). The effects of experimentally-induced stress on false recognition. Memory, 10, 1-6.
Tel: +2721 650 4608
Room Number: 2.17
Email Address: Kevin.Thomas@uct.ac.za