3 June exam marks for all psychology courses OR Official (certified by the department) detailed progress report* of all marks obtained for first semester 3rd Psychology courses (assignments, tests, etc.) (if there were no formal examinations for June)
4. Final third year exam marks for all psychology courses OR Official (certified by the department) detailed progress report* of all marks obtained for second semester 3rd Psychology courses (assignments, tests, etc.) as soon as these are available (if there were no formal examinations for December)
5. An official university transcript with first and second year results
6. Please provide the names of 2 academic references we can contact for referee reports
*detailed progress reports entail marks for all graded submissions (e.g., assignments, response papers, reports, presentations)
Applications will not be considered unless both application forms have been received.(See 1 & 2 above) Applicants from universities other than University of Cape Town should provide their students numbers on the application form.
Provisiona; offers will be made by the end of December. Final offers will be made in January 2021. Successful candidates are requires to confirm offer their acceptance in writing within ONE week.
APPLICANTS ARE TO SUBMIT A SINGLE PDF THAT INCLUDES ALL REQUIRE DOCUMENTS. Please see departmental application form
Admission into Honours
The minimum requirement is a Bachelor's degree with a major in Psychology. The Department receives many more applications than the limited number of places we can offer in terms of staff, facilities and the high standards demanded by academic and professional requirements. All candidates are carefully considered and the screening process takes account not only of the total academic record, but also allows for consideration of individual cases in terms of the two criteria listed below.
1. Academic performance - A bachelor's degree with a major in Psychology (or equivalent number of modules in Psychology). As a general guideline, an upper second class pass in third-year level Psychology is a basic requirement. In addition, the general level of the entire academic transcript is considered, as well as the award of distinctions, honours and bursaries. Consistency in academic performance is important.
2. Equity - In line with the UCT mission of equity and excellence, the selection committee will deliberately seek to ensure that the class will reflect the diversity of talent available in the country.
Other achievements, such as previous employment, extra-curricular activities and similar activities do not play a role in the selection process.
Please Note: Rejection of candidates in a particular year need not necessarily imply that the Selection Committee is of the opinion that the candidates are unworthy of a place in the course, but rather that the available places have been filled by candidates who receive priority by virtue of their qualification.
The decision of the Selection Committee is final and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into after selection has taken place. The process is generally completed by the end of the second week in December.
For any additional queries please contact Rosalind Adams. Her contact details can be found here.
Department of Psychology
University of Cape Town
Tel: +27 21 650-3417
Fax: +27 21 650-4104